The day we gained our independence only to lose a lot of what was gained to our own government! Seriously, look into what we fought for (assuming you can find it). Then look at what our government does, maybe not entirely to us, but to other countries too.
I understand celebrating things. Sure. But when you are celebrating something you no longer have?
Sure, we have our independence from England. But all the reasons we fought for that independence? Not so much.
The only site I could find that said anything other than simply independence... http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/northamerica/after1500/government/declaration.htm
"We here in America have suffered for a very long time, and now we should change our government. The king of England has done many bad things to us - here is a list:
- He won't let us pass laws we need for everybody's good.
- Even when we do pass laws, he won't sign them so they can go into effect.
- He tried to force men to give up their right to make laws.
- He calls men together to make laws in the most inconvenient times and places, so that they won't be able to go discuss the new laws.
- He won't let new settlers come to America, and he won't let the settlers take over new land from the Native Americans.
- He won't let us choose our own judges, and instead he chooses them all himself, so they're all on his side.
- He sends lots of new government officials that we don't want, and he makes us pay for them.
- He sends lots of English soldiers here when there isn't even a war, and makes us let them live in our own houses.
- He tells us these soldiers can do whatever they want and don't have to obey the law.
- He won't let us buy and sell things from wherever we want. We can only buy things from England.
- He makes us pay all kinds of taxes without asking us about it.
- He won't let us have a jury for our trials, only a judge.
- He sends people accused of crimes far away to England for their trials.
- He tries to get people to revolt and tries to get the "Indian Savages" to attack us.
While our government doesn't do all of the above list, at least not to us specifically (some things it does to other countries now), it does a lot of them. I don't want to pay taxes, we don't vote in judges (Supreme court judges are appointed), we have massive government, we have a police force that more and more is doing whatever they want, laws are passed without any voting from us (Americans, instead of just the government voting within itself), we aparantly now take people from other countries that break laws of our own country from other countries and bring them here to stand trial (Megaupload), we send lots of troops to foreign countries even though there isn't a war (Fuck you, "war on terror" isnt' a fucking war), NDAA - no jury, no judge, just a big fuck you, etc. etc. etc.
But hey, at least we are independent of England! Woo! Let's blow shit up and celebrate that!
What is Empire Avenue?